Sunday 1 May 2011

Brimbank Short Story and Poetry Awards 2009

1. Poetry Award
2. Lia Hills (Judge) Loketi Niua Latu, Mayor of Brimbank
3. Winners of Brimbank Poetry Awards 2009

Brimbank Short Story and Poetry Awards 2009
3-5pm
Sunday 13 September 2009
Old Shire Hall
KEILOR


I WEPT

Today I wept 
For the times 
I hid embarrassed 
By your toume
Blackened pots 

Standing behind your wooden 
Rotting door 
Watching Nuns in white 
Bring bags of rice 
To you the poor 

Saturdays I tagged along 
As you toiled
The taro patches 
'Ufilei, vanilla cultivating days 
Always dragging bags of mei 

Grandma, never once 
Did you complain
Then or now
Only I saw 
And felt your pain 

You bear my name 
Every night
You so proudly proclaimed 
I snored
Wiggled and turned away 

Today I wept 
For I bear your name 
No bags of taro 
'Ufilei, vanilla or mei 
Nothing but mere words 
From me to you proclaimed

No comments:

Post a Comment