Sunday 1 May 2011

Published Poems 2005

Loketi Niua Papaha'amea Latu

New Zealand



The End 


You see me 
You read me 
Where are the Gods 
Of my ancestors 
Why do they forsake me 

Maui are you 
Too busy 
To hear my cries 
Ma'afutoka spear the sun 
From awakening 
Ma'afulele demand the stars 
Not to shine 

Why do you allow me
To even cry 
Tu'i Malila be swift 
Come to me 
Did you not foresee 
The death inside of me

Va'elaveamata will you send 
Sinilau Mana'ia to awaken 
Muni-mata-mahae 
I demand the trees 
Flowers too 
To all lay wilted 
Be dead 

Wake up Ngalu Toutai 
Bathe yourself at 'Onemato 
Go deep into the sea 
Destroy it 
Destroy it for me 
Then take the Ha'apai men 
And play a game of kasivaki 
Come entertain me 

Where is the moko 
Always told to me 
Appear, show yourself 
I want to sit 
I want to watch 
Fehuluni's eyes taken 
From it's sockets 

I care not for these 
So called white missionaries 
Forcing me into 
Clothes and hiding 
The gifts born to me 

Why can't I dance 
The ula 
Who are they to stop me 
I want to taste 
The flesh of my enemies 
Kau-'ulu-fonua-fekai 
Take me teach me 
What a feast it will be 

I want to watch 
The me'etu'upaki 
Seat me next to Tu'itātui
I want to break 
Some knees 
With one hit 
And smile with glee 

In whose bed 
At night 
Shall I be 
As his chosen sinifu company 
Exciting 
What number will I be 
Buried alive 
In his tomb 
Pure ecstasy
Darkness 
Surely this can't be 
The end



Fefine


It is I, Hina 
Sinilau 
do you remember 
my name 
do you know 
it is me 

I weaved thousands of falas' 
cooked your haka 
fingers caloused 
for your lau nima 
why do you call me 
'Ulu-kihe-lupe-tea 

Do you not 
smell the pako 
tevunga, mohokoi 
langakali and pipi 
my bathing pulu 
oiled me with 
each night you 
pinned me down 

Has drinking kava 
numbed your brain 
completely 
of my name 
Did you forget 
gifting me last night 
to the Tu'i Lakemba 
which you called 
'ofa faka-Tonga 

Vakalahi-mohe-'uli 
send mohekonokono 
in Kaumavae's hands to me 
will 9 blows 
to your head 
recall my name 

Stand aside Ngālu'afē 
'umu tangata's rocks 
hiss hot red 
La'ahilimai and I 
will feast tonight 
sweet will be his fleash 
father of Tongan Kings 
was his name 

Hide me Tafakula 
send for tēnifa 
Take me away 
Save me Kava Mo'unga'one 
my hands are tainted red 
with the blood 
of my anger 

It is me 
Fehuluni 
cursed to roam 
body dead 
forever 
once adored 
as your lover 
it is I Hina 
the mother of Tonga 

There is no me 
There is no I 
Only we 
No one remembers my name 
Call to me 
Only in a dream 
It is I 
Fefine

1 comment: